Old 04-01-2021, 11:36 PM   #1
Webster

Default D&H 7304 in British Columbia in March 2021

I enjoyed comparing these three accepted shots of D&H #7302 leading a train in British Columbia in March 2021:

Railpictures #767241 by Griffin Montgomery
I think this was my favorite of the three. I really like how Griffin Montgomery included the whole mountain in the background, but I also wish there was less of the ditch and hillside in the left foreground.

Railpictures #767132 by Spencer Montgomery
Spencer Montgomery's photo cropped out some of the hillside in the foreground, but it also lost the full mountain in the background.... but that was a really good tradeoff since the image has twice as many views as Griffin Montgomery's.

Railpictures #767655 by Tim Stevens
Tim Steven's photo has the best lit nose, but the angle makes the S-curve a little less apparent.

All three are fine photographs.
Webster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 02:18 AM   #2
Mgoldman

It's rather amazing what a difference a few feet to the right, left, a bit high, lower, ect can make, as well as differences in processing.

I find Tim's the most pleasing to the eye - not quite as harsh with the contrast and shadows, and I like the framing with the dip in the mountain peaks centered. I feel Griffin's shot is a little off to the top right. Spencer's is like like a compromise between the two - my own opinion, of course!

What's most interesting, however - Tim's shot has a different sky than Griffin and Spencer. No clouds. Perhaps highlights were blown out. All Nikon's, so camera capabilities were likely identical.

Glad RP accepted all three - willingly or not.

I always said; "You can't have the best pictures on the 'Net" if you only accept the first pictures posted to the 'Net." Provides a nice learning experience as well. I've often seen similar pics as my own posted by fellow RP'r Kevin Madore - the answer to my unthought questions - what if I added more saturation (or less), or a warmer temperature (or cooler)... what if I stepped back a foot? Why didn't I (or he) include the secondary subject. Typically, the question resolved is: "What if I bought a Nikon instead of a Canon", lol.

It also often disproves shooting pics at a charter is like fishing for fish in the same pond!

Cool thread - thanks for creating it!

/Mitch
Mgoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 02:27 PM   #3
Micha01

Quote:
What's most interesting, however - Tim's shot has a different sky than Griffin and Spencer. No clouds. Perhaps highlights were blown out.
Hello Mitch,

i think most influence to the appearance of the Sky is the different day.

br
Micha
Micha01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 10:13 PM   #4
Mgoldman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micha01 View Post
Hello Mitch,

i think most influence to the appearance of the Sky is the different day.

br
Micha
I think you may be right, lol. Didn't even notice it, all scenes so similar.
Very glad to hear it too! I come here for the photography (and research).

I am glad to see the D&H unit is still out and about, too!

/Mitch
Mgoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 01:23 PM   #5
Joseph Cermak

Thanks for pointing these out. I've been keeping an album of cases like this, it's always neat to see how different photographers put their style on the "same shot" where everyone is shooting the same train, same location, same weather, etc. Check out the album here: (works best to sort by photo date) https://www.railpictures.net/album/4098/
Joseph Cermak is offline   Reply With Quote