Old 06-09-2008, 12:26 PM   #1
Switched out

Default The War against Photography (know your rights)

For some reason the powers that be have decided to blame photographs for there terrorist woes. With recent post in this forum from photogs being harassed for taking pictures in public spaces I have compiled a few links to other web sites that have been setup to deal with this injustice.

Here's a quote from an article that appeared in the Guardian.co.uk by Bruce Schneier, I think it sums up the whole mess very nicely.

Quote:
Since 9/11, there has been an increasing war on photography. Photographers have been harrassed, questioned, detained, arrested or worse, and declared to be unwelcome. We've been repeatedly told to watch out for photographers, especially suspicious ones. Clearly any terrorist is going to first photograph his target, so vigilance is required.

Except that it's nonsense. The 9/11 terrorists didn't photograph anything. Nor did the London transport bombers, the Madrid subway bombers, or the liquid bombers arrested in 2006. Timothy McVeigh didn't photograph the Oklahoma City Federal Building. The Unabomber didn't photograph anything; neither did shoe-bomber Richard Reid. Photographs aren't being found amongst the papers of Palestinian suicide bombers. The IRA wasn't known for its photography. Even those manufactured terrorist plots that the US government likes to talk about -- the Ft. Dix terrorists, the JFK airport bombers, the Miami 7, the Lackawanna 6 -- no photography.
Onto the links

The War on Photography A blog listing recent atrocities against photographers
United we Shoot Has a few Videos of rent-a-cops and real cops attacking photographs and videographers.
Photography Ban at Union Station Flap, Video report by 'MyFox' This is worth watching it just shows how stupid the whole situation has become, It's classic.

Photographers Rights
By no means complete but should get you started and if all else fails, Google it.

The information is provided without any Warranty as to the accuracy of the information it contains. Readers are urged to consult a solicitor/lawyer in respect to any legal problems they may encounter.
Switched out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 09:33 PM   #2
Slopes09

Send a message via AIM to Slopes09

I encourage everyone to print up a copy and keep it in their camera bags. There has been times when it's come in handy for me, including in non-rail situations.

I will say it seems kind of sad when we begin to know our rights better than some (but by no means all or the majority of) police officers who are supposed to be protecting us.

Pretty much the only Pentax Shooter.

Click Here to view my photos at RailPictures.Net!
Slopes09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 11:33 PM   #3
Northern Limits

Thanks for doing the research Christine. Great information.

SmileyCentral.com

Click Here to view my photos at RailPictures.Net!
Northern Limits is offline   Reply With Quote