Old 10-25-2021, 08:02 PM   #1
bbrant

Default Poor Image Quality?

I had this one rejected for poor image quality. I don't see it and thought I'd ask for opinions.

https://www.railpictures.net/viewrej...41&key=7189989
Old 10-26-2021, 03:20 AM   #2
RobJor

I am a poor judge of image quality, but you are only at 1024 pixel wide? and 474KB and standard here is 1200 or 1600 which doesn't help. Also looks to be leaning and is very flat, needs some vibrance or saturation help. You can't resubmit now but might start over with RAW after some time. I can only guess you just used a version you posted somewhere else but I sometimes find i have to go over images I want to submit here in more detail but not a 1024 image i posted elsewhere.

As an aside
it is Capitol Limited with an "O" and a sad version reflecting a lot of poor decision making by Amtrak. I had a nice trip on an Actual Amtrak Capitol limited to Cumberland and back with a diner, observation car and good meals.

One might say the last Capitol Limited actually departed Chicago on April 30th, 1971.

Bob

Bob

Last edited by RobJor; 10-26-2021 at 03:26 AM.
RobJor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 01:16 PM   #3
bbrant

Thanks for the reply. Yeah, I still crop down to 1024x683 out of habit. Perhaps that's the reason for the rejection, trying to force a different/higher resolution.

The only place I posted this image was on my SmugMug site. I downloaded it and cropped the jpg file to what I thought would meet the RP self-definition of a good photo.

Thanks for the catch on the Capital/Capitol Limited spelling too.
Old 10-26-2021, 02:31 PM   #4
Grewup on the CW

You and Jon were at the same spot at the same time apparently. The difference between his accepted pic and yours has a lot to do with the lighting. Jon's pic is just a second or two after yours which gave the sun just enough time to pop out from behind the clouds or fog and light up his pic more than yours. Did you take any other shots later such as Jon's?

Image © Jon Wright
PhotoID: 785696
Photograph © Jon Wright
Grewup on the CW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 04:00 PM   #5
vcode455

I'm not sure the lighting is any better on Jon's shot, it has just been processed to have a lot more "pop" to the first image. The first image looks really flat color wise, plus it doesn't look especially sharp, at least to my tired old eyes.
vcode455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 05:30 PM   #6
bbrant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grewup on the CW View Post
You and Jon were at the same spot at the same time apparently. The difference between his accepted pic and yours has a lot to do with the lighting. Jon's pic is just a second or two after yours which gave the sun just enough time to pop out from behind the clouds or fog and light up his pic more than yours. Did you take any other shots later such as Jon's?

Image © Jon Wright
PhotoID: 785696
Photograph © Jon Wright
Yes, Jon and I were out together that day (and the previous) on the 'Patch. I do have another shot taken about the same time as Jon's. It's tighter but considering this one was tagged as "poor image quality", I'm not certain any other attempts would be worth it.