Old 02-17-2008, 10:25 PM   #1
SD70M-2

Default Newbie needs advise.

Can anybody help me with this? I'm being told it is "underexposed". I'm not a professional photographer by any means but I do think that this is a realy nice picture, one of my favorites.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...5&key=44154782
SD70M-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 10:31 PM   #2
asis80

Send a message via AIM to asis80

"underexposed" is an "understatement" . I think there may be a problem with your monitor? Over here, I can hardly see anything. I think you just metered wrong. What I like to do in snowy conditions especially is meter off of the sky. When metering off of something really bright (the WHITE snow is reflection most of that light) the meter in your camera is saying "WHOA! Lets take it up a few or 10 stops". Metering off the sky, in most of my cases, 99% of the time turns that snow a nice white, keeps the image balance exposure wise, the sky is nice and blue and you have a nice picture. I believe tho if you did this with this picture to begin with, you'd get it kicked for either

A) Bad cropping; you cut off the 2nd unit, stand closer to the tracks at an angle to the WHOLE train

or

B)Bad composition/balance; roster shots have to be "picture perfect". And still, the 2nd unit is cut off.

Hope this helps!

Ben
Old 02-17-2008, 10:32 PM   #3
JRMDC

The snow is fairly gray, not so white. I think it is underexposed. Just increase the exposure in whatever software you are using. (Not that the snow should be bleached white, but it should be brighter than it is now.)

And beware, frequently enough the screener will leave one or two reasons for rejection when more are applicable. Someone does a fix and the shot is rejected again for another reason. In this case, the shot does not look especially sharp, so I would do a bit of sharpening in addition to the exposure adjustment, before resubmitting.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 10:34 PM   #4
JRMDC

I suspect there is a problem with * Ben's * monitor!!!

But he is right on the other criticisms. And the bit of guardrail in the lower right is distracting; can't make up my mind about it.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots

Last edited by JRMDC; 02-17-2008 at 10:47 PM.
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 11:12 PM   #5
SD70M-2

Thanks everyone. There was no cropping done at all. When I saw it was #2222 and how clean it was, I centered my lenz to it and snap. Maybe I should have croped it before submission.

Thanks again,
John
Old 02-18-2008, 01:39 AM   #6
asis80

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC
I suspect there is a problem with * Ben's * monitor!!!

But he is right on the other criticisms. And the bit of guardrail in the lower right is distracting; can't make up my mind about it.

J, im on my fiances laptop, and her screen wasnt "flat" against my vision, so it turned it dark (not one of those where you can view the screen from any angle). May not have been as underexposed as i thought .......
Old 02-18-2008, 02:20 AM   #7
ddavies

Because you are only showing one unit, and not the entire train, this is considered a roster shot. Roster shots have to be about perfect exposure and composition.
ddavies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 04:23 PM   #8
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by asis80
I think you just metered wrong. What I like to do in snowy conditions especially is meter off of the sky. When metering off of something really bright (the WHITE snow is reflection most of that light) the meter in your camera is saying "WHOA! Lets take it up a few or 10 stops". Metering off the sky, in most of my cases, 99% of the time turns that snow a nice white, keeps the image balance exposure wise, the sky is nice and blue and you have a nice picture.
I agree with you on this when you have a blue sky, but a bright overcast sky can be just as deceiving as the bright white snow. In this case, I usually meter either the snow or the sky and overexpose it by 1-2 stops. This generally gives a "correct" exposure.
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 03:44 AM   #9
SD70M-2

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...key=1138101549

There, I cropped it, tweaked it, a bit of this, a bit of that and still no good. I'm losing hope. I've submitted another 3 pics today with no luck. I'm getting the feeling I'm not liked.
Old 02-19-2008, 03:48 AM   #10
JBCagle7073
Alpha Phi Psi

Send a message via AIM to JBCagle7073

Don't feel like they don't like you because you get rejected. They are very particular about the quality of pictures they accept and it takes some work to figure out what they want exactly. Eventually it kind of all clicks.
Old 02-19-2008, 03:59 AM   #11
bigbassloyd

I tinkered with it in IRFanview, so my results are not going to be optimal against PS and the like.

I went with a gamma correction of 1.25, added 10 blue, saturation +10, and sharpened. I then ran it through Noise Ninja because there is a ton of noise in the sky. I doubt the image is save worthy due to the severe amount of noise reduction I had to use ( to the point where the powerlines start to disappear).

Anywho, here ya go!

attachment one is my fixed image, and attachment two is a comparison image where I pasted a portion of my fixed image, over your original, to help show the difference.

* edit - image quality has been reduced a fair amount to get the photos within attachment limits (80% in infanview)

Loyd L.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HPIM2291mkk.JPG2_filtered.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	115.5 KB
ID:	2490   Click image for larger version

Name:	paintcompare.JPG
Views:	149
Size:	104.1 KB
ID:	2491  

My personal photography site

Last edited by bigbassloyd; 02-19-2008 at 04:09 AM.
bigbassloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 04:47 AM   #12
asis80

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD70M-2
http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...key=1138101549

There, I cropped it, tweaked it, a bit of this, a bit of that and still no good. I'm losing hope. I've submitted another 3 pics today with no luck. I'm getting the feeling I'm not liked.

Don't get discouraged. I'm "fairly" new to the game of submitting here. You'd think after years and years of looking and RP photo's, I'd "get it". Naw, took me a little bit, a couple months. Everyone gets rejections, don't worry. I'd just kick this photo to the personal collection, save yourself from the frustration. There's times where I worked and worked on a photo to the point where I just started over and then just decided to put in the personal collection. There's nothin wrong with that, keep trying!

Ben
Old 02-19-2008, 05:27 AM   #13
NSFan14

Very very very grainy picture! It took me over 2 years to finally get a photo accepted. After I got my first photo accepted I average out at about 2 photos a week on here. It takes time to get use to.