Old 08-02-2022, 04:30 PM   #1
Grewup on the CW

Smile Virginia finally has a scenic RR

The fine folks at Buckingham Branch has put together a scenic train ride that currently starts and returns at the Amtrak station in Staunton, VA. They did a soft run 7/28-7/30 and booking is now available for the open seasons. I was fortunate to get tickets to ride one of the soft excursions but came down sick and so a family member went in my place. I was told they did very nice job, the food was excellent and even rolled out the red carpet to board the train. Their website (see link below) also has been very well planned and thought out. They are currently limited to one passenger car but they have plans to grow and add more cars and excursions. As with everything else in today's current economy, fuel prices have driven everything up and while the ticket price per seat is affected by that, its well worth the adventure. I have been on a private business excursion in the past and those folks treated me very well and from the feed back I got my my family member and the pictures they shared with me, sounds like BB is still treated people very well. I will get my ticket to ride soon! Now, if I could just get them to take over the 40 miles of CW's out of service trackage from Broadway to Front Royal.....

https://www.virginiascenicrailway.com/
Grewup on the CW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2022, 06:45 PM   #2
bigbassloyd

I remember when I was working with the BB on photography, that car was empty from end to end. We would sit in a folding chair lol

Loyd L.

My personal photography site
bigbassloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 06:35 PM   #3
Grewup on the CW

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbassloyd View Post
I remember when I was working with the BB on photography, that car was empty from end to end. We would sit in a folding chair lol

Loyd L.
LOL....They have come a long ways now with it. Its all decked out and nicely restored, mighty fine dinning car.

I've been told they want to add 6 more coaches. Just 6 as that's all the Staunton yard will hold. They also want make a static display Train in the yard complete with Engine, caboose and box cars in between that will serve as exhibits of RR history and possibly a model train layout. Along with the box cars the Caboose and Engine will be accessible to tour. This info was announced during their soft launch excursion.

Sound like that have a lot dreams/stuff planned. I wish they well and hope it all works out. I'm still dreaming/hoping for a steamer in VA one day...
Grewup on the CW is offline   Reply With Quote