Old 04-24-2021, 05:18 PM   #1
18 316

Default Cloudy

Earlier, I had a shot in falling snow and a post-storm post-sunset shot rejected for "Lighting (Cloudy)". In both cases, my immediate reaction would be, "well of course it is cloudy". Any thoughts on these? Any way to save these images for RP?
18 316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 07:36 PM   #2
Joe the Photog
A dude with a camera

I like both shots. I don't get why the first one was rejected. The second one looks like you go cloud effed
Old 04-24-2021, 08:36 PM   #3
RobJor

Number 1, I remember one time I thought I had a neat photo and screener comment was cutoff crossing gate was distracting plus I think here it could have been possible to include the top of catenary towers?

Number 2, I know you want that sunny hill to the right but that leaves the whole right side, kinda just a road. Maybe a crop with that outcrop in the background and a little help to brighten it up. The bridge is unattractive.

Bob
RobJor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 11:09 PM   #4
Milepost 58

For photo number one, I would sharpen ( or use the clarity ) and brighten a bit to bring out the snow.
Milepost 58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 02:08 AM   #5
Switched out

For the first one a bit of cropping might do the trick, I also tweaked the colors and exposure a little in an attempt to bring out the detail in the snow on the ground.

The second one I liked, I did a lot of selective editing on the mountain range in the background unfortunately the clouds let this one down and that's mother natures fault.

I think the cropped version will be more to RP's liking but you do lose that lovely sunlight on the mountains

The cropped version which may be more acceptable to RP

Chris.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	5051.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	663.1 KB
ID:	9897   Click image for larger version

Name:	9840.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	1.48 MB
ID:	9898   Click image for larger version

Name:	9840-2.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	988.8 KB
ID:	9899  
Switched out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 04:16 PM   #6
18 316

Quote:
Originally Posted by Switched out View Post
I think the cropped version will be more to RP's liking but you do lose that lovely sunlight on the mountains
Well I did something similar but with a different editing of the colours, and re-submitted it (with the customary note to the editors). It got yanked again for "Cloudy" - but also "Uncorrected Reupload". What!?
Old 04-27-2021, 04:25 PM   #7
Joe the Photog
A dude with a camera

I don't think you are getting that second one in. (I've been wrong before though)
Old 04-27-2021, 04:53 PM   #8
18 316

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
I don't think you are getting that second one in. (I've been wrong before though)
It does appear so, but what's up with "Uncorrected Reupload"? This is the second time I got that in spite of a clearly edited photo and a note to screeners clearly stating what was edited. And again I'm left wondering if I got some new restriction for some real or perceived violation I'm not even aware of (the last time was followed by a reduction of my daily submission limit).

I seriously don't get the thinking of the runners of this site. Interpreting the canned rejection messages is sometimes like divination, there appear to be way too many rules not stated anywhere to users (and only guessed about here on the forums due to lack of communication), and little of the welcoming attitude promised to new users (again the lack of communication). There is the suggestion to seek advice in the forums, which I did several times with success (including a photo last week which the screeners accepted upon its fifth re-upload) and again in this instance, but if I got docked now then it's for following the advice...
Old 04-27-2021, 05:22 PM   #9
RobJor

Generally cloudy rejection is not correctable, ie you can't make it un-cloudy?
I got several in on appeal but now my ability to appeal has been finished.

I went through all your photos and there are some really nice scenes, I am partial to those areas.

I would really recommend taking some time off preferably 31 days to let the reject queue die out. Then come back with a very basic "sure" image to get off on the right foot.
At this point it sounds like you are butting heads. From my own experience when resubmitting I would stick to a very short bland comment.

Bob
RobJor is offline   Reply With Quote