Old 08-04-2022, 12:54 AM   #1
RobJor

Default Poor Aesthetic Quality

I actually thought this was nice with some human interest.

https://www.railpictures.net/viewrej...60&key=3963031

Bob Jordan

In the way back machine during my brief time on the Milwaukee everything was hand signal so I thought was pretty neat in 2020.

Last edited by RobJor; 08-04-2022 at 01:02 AM.
RobJor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 03:18 AM   #2
KevinM

I think the lighting in this one didn't help the cause. The primary subject is at the back of the scene and just doesn't pop. The degree to which you had to cut off the equipment in order to emphasize the crew member was probably also a factor. I'd like to see more of that caboose, as those are pretty rare these days.

I call images like this ABNQ......"Almost, but not quite." I have lots of 'em myself.

My RP stuff is here.

Link to my Flickr Albums. Albums from Steam Railroads all over the US.
KevinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 10:24 AM   #3
RobJor

I can see those objections maybe but the point is not to see the caboose, I have photos of that, but a crew member working. Other than steam charters,special event and crew changes it is not too common to see crew at work switching and then with hand signals yet.

Bob
Old 08-04-2022, 01:33 PM   #4
Joseph Cermak

Not sure if this contributed, but I think there's certain wariness to post photos of crew working in the modern day, especially when clearly visible, given the current climate of the railroads and management.
Joseph Cermak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 03:31 PM   #5
RobJor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Cermak View Post
Not sure if this contributed, but I think there's certain wariness to post photos of crew working in the modern day, especially when clearly visible, given the current climate of the railroads and management.
You could be right, didn't think of that, tho he saw me taking photos and we had a good talk after. Old timer, don't think he is worried but that is a good point.

Bob
Old 08-04-2022, 04:00 PM   #6
Joseph Cermak

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobJor View Post
You could be right, didn't think of that, tho he saw me taking photos and we had a good talk after. Old timer, don't think he is worried but that is a good point.

Bob
Yeah, always cool when they're friendly and happy to talk and be photographed, but it doesn't always come across in a image if that's part of the rejection reason.
Joseph Cermak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 05:07 PM   #7
RobJor

PAS - number 2: ok, here is the full caboose and no closeup of the crew member.

https://www.railpictures.net/viewrej...34&key=6208325

Bob
Old 08-05-2022, 05:35 PM   #8
KevinM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobJor View Post
PAS - number 2: ok, here is the full caboose and no closeup of the crew member.

https://www.railpictures.net/viewrej...34&key=6208325

Bob
Wow, the light really went to hell between the time you shot this and the switching image you posted previously. BTW, I didn't mean to imply that the original shot should have been a caboose shot, I just thought that what was showing of the equipment was a bit awkward....meaning either show me more or less, but I'm not feeling the current composition. With the crew member shot, I probably would have gone tighter, so the focus would have been on the person, and not teasing the equipment. As mentioned, the light wasn't doing you any favors at that moment.

WRT this shot, if you have a subsequent frame, with the caboose almost through the crossing, that would be BETTER than this frame. I don't think the gap on the right helps the cause. We might also see the crossing sign on the left, if you have just the right frame. The wire that has no obvious terminations doesn't help either....if that could be cloned, it would clean up the scene a bit. And lastly, it doesn't look level..... It MAY BE level, but an unlevel "look" could instantly bias the Screener into thinking: "cluttered scene, unlevel,.....uh, no, move on." Not a great scene, but I think it could fly with the right frame and a little bit of clean-up.

I'm no artist, but those are my thoughts if I'm thinking about putting it on RP.

My RP stuff is here.

Link to my Flickr Albums. Albums from Steam Railroads all over the US.
KevinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 07:39 PM   #9
RobJor

Kevin, thanks for taking all the time for reply. the two shots were on different days, I just forgot to update by one day.

I just looked at 578 photo lists and saw no caboose and no employees other than steam related.

So it would be so terrible to use a caboose shot to break things up.
I think I could rub my stomach and pat my head at the same time and it wouldn't help.

I have a bunch shots from that trip on railpics but in my small view of things I thought these could be of interest.

Bob
Old 08-05-2022, 08:59 PM   #10
Joe the Photog
A dude with a camera

The full caboose shot is learning terribly CCW. That's the first thing that jumped out at me.