Old 04-22-2021, 04:44 PM   #1
MassArt Images

Default Two rejections for commenting on.

Blurry. To my old eyes (61) it looks Okay. 8800's number boards have a funky look to them. I wonder if that's all they looked at. The MP22 sign looks sharp as do the hoppers. Comments?
https://www.railpictures.net/viewrej...40&key=4372198

This one got a backlit rejection. To me it looks properly exposed and has good image quality. Comments?
https://www.railpictures.net/viewrej...39&key=5285134

My RP pics are HERE

My website is HERE
MassArt Images is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 02:47 AM   #2
xBNSFer

Looks more like a "focus point" of lack of "focus lock" issue; the hoppers do look sharp, as you said, suggesting maybe the camera was focused on something behind the lead unit, or just didn't lock on anything.
xBNSFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 02:58 AM   #3
MassArt Images

Quote:
Originally Posted by xBNSFer View Post
Looks more like a "focus point" of lack of "focus lock" issue; the hoppers do look sharp, as you said, suggesting maybe the camera was focused on something behind the lead unit, or just didn't lock on anything.
What about the Milepost sign? Blurry?

My RP pics are HERE

My website is HERE
Old 04-23-2021, 01:31 PM   #4
RobJor

Well you found one that worked. The first of the rejects was pretty cool but there was so much in the photo out of focus with only a little slice in focus and dead space to the left. Looking at image size I see you tried to crop a little. Shooting at that focal length is hard. Going a way shot, can't really make a good argument for those unless they are really exceptional. I always remember on I tried 5 C-420's smoking it up on a curve. Rejected, after that I somewhat avoid those.

Image © Carl Massart
PhotoID: 769940
Photograph © Carl Massart
RobJor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 02:57 PM   #5
KevinM

A couple of quick comments.....

With regard to focus lock, I have definitely found that the AF on some cameras really doesn't work well when pointed at train headlights. It can hunt and sometimes fire at an inappropriate setting, or just hunt hopelessly. That can even happen with pro bodies. Sometimes, you need to pick a spot away from the nose of the train in order to get an accurate AF lock.

With regard to exposure...... Both of these images look overexposed to me. Check out the ballast, especially in the second one. It just looks like bright, white limestone. Perhaps it was bright, white limestone, but I'm guessing not. I'd back both of these down by at least 1/3rd of a stop and see what they look like. I used to regularly make my images too bright. A couple of years back, it suddenly dawned on me that by dialing back a bit, my contrast got better, my colors looked richer and images were just easier on the eyes.

My RP stuff is here.

Link to my Flickr Albums. Albums from Steam Railroads all over the US.
KevinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 05:51 PM   #6
MassArt Images

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinM View Post
A couple of quick comments.....

With regard to exposure...... Both of these images look overexposed to me. Check out the ballast, especially in the second one. It just looks like bright, white limestone. Perhaps it was bright, white limestone, but I'm guessing not. I'd back both of these down by at least 1/3rd of a stop and see what they look like.
Kevin, on the first, I was in MF for precisely that reason. I thought the milepost marker looked good and also the hopper ribs. Since the engine nose was between those two points, all was good. To shoot at f8 caused my ISO to go to 2000. Maybe I have too much noise.

Both shots and the accepted one all show snow on the ground, due to overnight flurries. The going away shot ballast hasnít seen the rays of the sun yet so the snow was a little denser there.

My RP pics are HERE

My website is HERE
Old 04-25-2021, 04:58 PM   #7
Joe the Photog
A dude with a camera

I honestly could not tell what the engine number was. No one is here to see properly exposed and in focus MMs.
Old 05-01-2021, 10:25 PM   #8
xBNSFer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
I honestly could not tell what the engine number was. No one is here to see properly exposed and in focus MMs.
That is a really bad numberboard font! Something that hard to read could get somebody killed in Track Warrant Territory, should a mistake regarding a unit number be made.
xBNSFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 04:52 PM   #9
MassArt Images

I agree with that! it needs some new 8's.

My RP pics are HERE

My website is HERE
Old 05-03-2021, 04:18 PM   #10
Joe the Photog
A dude with a camera

It could be bad number boards as said. I actually made the joke that if railroads wanted to screw with us photogs, they would purposefully put up number boards that look out of focus.