Old 08-14-2012, 08:31 PM   #1
Kyle Korienek

Default Hmm, what do you guys/gals think?

I like this photo, but how could I crop this to make it work? I know it has a cloudy sky, but the sun poked through perfectly and lit the nose, I don't think it will get that after I correct the cropping. However, I want help cropping, any help is appreciated.

Also, is it me, or does it look slightly overexposed?

My RP Photos

Flickr! New & Improved!

Me In A Speedo

"I don't do this to make money or to please anyone, you people are too difficult to please and too cheap to buy my crap."
Kyle Korienek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 11:11 PM   #2
conrail1990

Theres alot of nothing on the top and bottom and nothing helping the photo on the right. I would try to get more cars in the shot and move the engine more right.
conrail1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 11:33 PM   #3
Kyle Korienek

Here's an adjustment based on what was suggested, any further changes? I can't get more cars, but I did tighten up the right side with the locomotives and eliminate the sky. Can't upload yet, over my limit for the day.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7107 - Copy - Copy.JPG (241.1 KB, 255 views)

My RP Photos

Flickr! New & Improved!

Me In A Speedo

"I don't do this to make money or to please anyone, you people are too difficult to please and too cheap to buy my crap."
Old 08-14-2012, 11:49 PM   #4
Joe the Photog
A dude with a camera

The attachment is much, much better than the rejection. It follows the Rule of Thirds while the rejection puts the nose of the engine right in the middle of the frame which is a big ole no no. I'm still not sure the attachment is getting in.
Old 08-15-2012, 12:58 AM   #5
Kyle Korienek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
The attachment is much, much better than the rejection. It follows the Rule of Thirds while the rejection puts the nose of the engine right in the middle of the frame which is a big ole no no. I'm still not sure the attachment is getting in.
How can I improve the attached version? Or is the gray sky behind it too much for the screeners to look past despite the nose in full sun that was not high sun?

My RP Photos

Flickr! New & Improved!

Me In A Speedo

Old 08-15-2012, 02:09 AM   #6
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle Korienek View Post
I like this photo, but how could I crop this to make it work? I know it has a cloudy sky, but the sun poked through perfectly and lit the nose, I don't think it will get that after I correct the cropping. However, I want help cropping, any help is appreciated.
Just curious...if you had that much width to work with, why didn't you pan more to the left to show more of the train? All the stuff on the right is uninteresting, and seeing more of the train (and not cut off from the frame) would likely have yielded a more appealing composition. There is potential for a nice shot at this location, you just have to work on composing the scene in a more creative way.

I'd keep this one to the personal files as a practice shot and go back and redo it when you have another chance. There have been many locations where I've shot a similar scene over and over again with various trains and lighting until I got one that was a winner. For instance, tomorrow morning I'm shooting Amtrak in the same spot with the same composition as I did both Saturday and Sunday mornings. Unfortunately, on both of those days, I either got totally cloud F'd or partially cloud F'd. I just won't be happy until I get it in full sunshine. Sometimes it just takes trial and error.

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias

Last edited by JimThias; 08-15-2012 at 02:13 AM.
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 02:38 AM   #7
Kyle Korienek

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThias View Post
Just curious...if you had that much width to work with, why didn't you pan more to the left to show more of the train? All the stuff on the right is uninteresting, and seeing more of the train (and not cut off from the frame) would likely have yielded a more appealing composition. There is potential for a nice shot at this location, you just have to work on composing the scene in a more creative way.

I'd keep this one to the personal files as a practice shot and go back and redo it when you have another chance. There have been many locations where I've shot a similar scene over and over again with various trains and lighting until I got one that was a winner. For instance, tomorrow morning I'm shooting Amtrak in the same spot with the same composition as I did both Saturday and Sunday mornings. Unfortunately, on both of those days, I either got totally cloud F'd or partially cloud F'd. I just won't be happy until I get it in full sunshine. Sometimes it just takes trial and error.
Jim, I made a stupid mistake and shot this vertical, the left side width is as wide as it will go to the left. The spot is quite good, and it was my first time not only at that spot, but in that town in my whole life. Next month I will be heading back up to my cabin and will DEFINITELY be returning to here. You know lately just as well as I, our Michigan weather has been very uncooperative for photography, so hopefully I will get lucky next time, and not make the same mistake of shooting vertical

My RP Photos

Flickr! New & Improved!

Me In A Speedo

Old 08-15-2012, 02:50 AM   #8
Kyle Korienek

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThias View Post

I found one earlier in the sequence that was shot vertical, the sun was not strong here, but it shows the whole visible left side from the small hill I shot from, personally, I think its cluttered, but I still would like to know what you think, if including this next time would be helpful. Also, there is a shot from the crossing here, which I believe, with sun has a lot of potential as well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7105 - Copy (4).JPG (247.9 KB, 236 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7116 - Copy.JPG (236.0 KB, 239 views)

My RP Photos

Flickr! New & Improved!

Me In A Speedo