Old 01-03-2021, 01:28 AM   #26
KevinM

If you look at the layout of the home page, clearly, Admin has been doing a little facelift. The PoTW now has a MUCH more prominent presence. I suspect the map function will be fixed shortly.

My RP stuff is here.

Link to my Flickr Albums. Albums from Steam Railroads all over the US.
KevinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 03:07 PM   #27
Joseph Cermak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mberry View Post
Now all mapping info is completely gone.... hopefully a temporary thing.
Indeed I hope that comes back, I always enjoyed that feature to tag my shots as well as looking at others to find locations.

Currently now maps on photos, profiles, homepage, and now link to click for tagging or viewing maps on photos in lists.
Joseph Cermak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 05:40 PM   #28
Joseph Cermak

Any updates on if the map feature will be returning to allow the tagging of photos?
Old 01-26-2021, 08:08 PM   #29
Grewup on the CW

I miss the maps feature on photographers profile page......It would be nice if admin would respond - hey its gone or working on it....
Grewup on the CW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 01:44 PM   #30
KevinM

Honestly, I had hopes that it would be fixed, but given that changes have been made to the home page, and the maps no longer appear anyplace except on photos which were tagged in the past, I have to assume that Admin tried to fix it, but could not find any reasonable way to resolve the problem. I almost wonder if Google Maps changed something deliberately to prevent other sites from using their application. They probably wanted money.

My RP stuff is here.

Old 01-28-2021, 03:17 PM   #31
Joseph Cermak

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinM View Post
Honestly, I had hopes that it would be fixed, but given that changes have been made to the home page, and the maps no longer appear anyplace except on photos which were tagged in the past, I have to assume that Admin tried to fix it, but could not find any reasonable way to resolve the problem. I almost wonder if Google Maps changed something deliberately to prevent other sites from using their application. They probably wanted money.
I would find that surprising since so many other sites still have their maps interfaces working no problem. Every time I've seen this happen on a different site, it just required a tweak or an update of the link, but I don't know too many details on programming. Would be very unfortunate to loose, it was one of my favorite parts of this site and actually worked really well.
Old 01-28-2021, 10:51 PM   #32
TedG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Cermak View Post
Would be very unfortunate to loose, it was one of my favorite parts of this site and actually worked really well.
I'll second that. And that. And that.
/Ted
TedG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 03:43 AM   #33
TedG

Quote:
Originally Posted by TedG View Post
Thanks, Chris. At least now we know you're aware of the problem. So I, for one, will stop whining. At least until the second week of January.
/Ted
To my credit, I stopped whining--well past the second week of January.
Is my favorite feature gone forever?
Why leave everyone hanging with no update?
/Ted
Old 02-17-2021, 11:01 PM   #34
Chris Kilroy
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Chris Kilroy

Hi,

Google lowered their free quota of map calls to 28,000/month. We were doing roughly twice that amount per day. Current pricing is USD $7 per additional 1,000 calls over the limit. You can do the math.
- View My Photos at JetPhotos.Net!
Chris Kilroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 01:17 AM   #35
KevinM

Thanks for the update, Chris. I kind of figured it would be something like that.

Everything else in life is going that way too. Used to be that one could buy a version of Photoshop or Lightroom and own it until one needed or wanted an upgrade. Now, we're hostage to it on a monthly fee for the rest of our natural lives. Flickr was always free....until it wasn't. The words "pay us money or bad things will happen" used to be called extortion. Now, it's called a business model.

My RP stuff is here.

Old 02-18-2021, 12:11 PM   #36
RobJor

Now that it is resolved I can say I am not really upset. I never added to my photos and rarely looked. Sometimes I'd see something in Russia or ... and think "where the heck is that." so I'd look at map if provided

types of photos
1) I don't care.
2) not provided
3) obvious
4) pretty easy to figure out if there is a good remark
5) I really wanted to know , so I'd have some fun looking using google and figuring it out. If I was thinking of a trip in that area I'd like to explore area map anyway.
6) I don't care.

Bob Jordan

Last edited by RobJor; 02-18-2021 at 12:27 PM.
RobJor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 02:16 PM   #37
RobJor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobJor View Post
Now that it is resolved I can say I am not really upset. I never added to my photos and rarely looked. Sometimes I'd see something in Russia or ... and think "where the heck is that." so I'd look at map if provided

types of photos
1) I don't care.
2) not provided
3) obvious
5) I really wanted to know , so I'd have some fun looking using google and figuring it out. If I was thinking of a trip in that area I'd like to explore area map anyway.
6) I don't care.

Bob Jordan
added - For those that liked it, it is a shame, a feature lost. Problem is just a photo database. Map can give it more context along with good comment.
Old 02-18-2021, 08:30 PM   #38
KevinM

Flickr has a map feature, which I haven't used much. It has street map as well as satellite views. I have found that I can't zoom on it to the degree that I could with Google Maps, but it's still decent enough to closely map the shooting locations. I'm just going to guess that the provide is not hitting SmugMug up for $7/1000 calls. I wonder if that source might be an option for RP.

My RP stuff is here.

Old 02-18-2021, 10:53 PM   #39
RobJor

Quote:
Flickr has a map feature, which I haven't used much. It has street map as well as satellite views. I have found that I can't zoom on it to the degree that I could with Google Maps, but it's still decent enough to closely map the shooting locations. I'm just going to guess that the provide is not hitting SmugMug up for $7/1000 calls. I wonder if that source might be an option for RP.
Yes, but when the shoe is on the other foot, what is good for the goose:

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/s...055801381.html
Old 02-19-2021, 12:30 AM   #40
Mberry

Quote:
I always geotag my photos on Flickr but I really don't like their maps....
Mberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 02:30 AM   #41
TedG

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobJor View Post

types of photos
1) I don't care.
2) not provided
3) obvious
6) I don't care.

Bob Jordan
Good remarks? That's a pretty big "if".

But forget the remarks for a minute. Often, even the required data fields--such as "railroad location"--are downright incorrect or listed as "unknown". Even if the RR/Subdivision is correctly given, that only narrows it down to a range of...what...a 100 miles or 200 miles.
/Ted
Old 02-19-2021, 03:09 AM   #42
Joseph Cermak

Quote:
Good remarks? That's a pretty big "if".

But forget the remarks for a minute. Often, even the required data fields--such as "railroad location"--are downright incorrect or listed as "unknown". Even if the RR/Subdivision is correctly given, that only narrows it down to a range of...what...a 100 miles or 200 miles.
/Ted
Agreed, what went from a bit of looking at maps now becomes a significant investment in sleuthing to determine where a shot was taken. Meaning RP loses a lot of its usefulness in planning trips, etc.

One would think there could be a switch to another [free] map service (openstreetmap, yahoo, bing, etc) if RP is just storing the coordinates associated with a photo.
Old 02-19-2021, 09:24 AM   #43
18 316

Quote:
Often, even the required data fields--such as "railroad location"--are downright incorrect or listed as "unknown".
I often check photo locations (even for locations I'm unlikely to ever visit myself) and noticed several errors, too. Some of them seem the result of the upload page "remembering" the last upload and the poster forgetting to edit a field (happened to me, albeit in the loco type field), but some posters don't know where they have been.
18 316 is offline   Reply With Quote