Old 12-22-2009, 02:17 AM   #26
Freericks
Met Fan

I know it's not the question, but I do enjoy almost all railroad museums... with two exceptions, which are killers to me.

The small railroad museum without any locomotives or with their locomotives set up in a way that prohibits photography.

Railroad museums that are by mainlines and do not quite understand that you are also a railfan. I went to the Rosenberg Museum in Texas... and the people were delightful, but at one point they trapped me in a room to watch a video and while I was in there, two trains passed the museum. To be honest, I should have stood up and said, I'm here to watch trains, not to watch a video, so it was as much my fault, but boy did that suck.
Freericks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 03:48 AM   #27
Dennis A. Livesey

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy12n View Post
One thing, it is in the ghetto in the middle of a dangerous neighborhood (as most of Baltimore is). The museum itself is fenced in, has its own contained parking lot (safe), but dont venture outside the confines on foot. ...but its taking your life in your own hands if you want to get to it.
Having worked in the really dangerous sections of East and West Baltimore and visited the B&O on several occasions 2003-2007, I can say I never felt any danger visiting the Museum even on foot.

I Foam Therefore I Am.

My pix on RailPics:

I am on Flickr as well:

"Dennis is such a God, he could do that with a camera obscura and some homemade acetate." Holloran Grade

"To me it looks drawn in in Paintshop. It looks like a puddle of orange on the sky." SFO777
Dennis A. Livesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 03:51 AM   #28
Dennis A. Livesey

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy12n View Post
Sure when they move things around and stage them like in your examples.

I agree with the previous poster about the intent of the museaum, but was making a point.
I was on that shoot, and outside of moving a bench, nothing was moved.

You can find angles if you look.

I Foam Therefore I Am.

My pix on RailPics:

I am on Flickr as well:

"Dennis is such a God, he could do that with a camera obscura and some homemade acetate." Holloran Grade

"To me it looks drawn in in Paintshop. It looks like a puddle of orange on the sky." SFO777
Old 01-10-2010, 04:19 AM   #29
Joe the Photog
A dude with a camera

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis A. Livesey View Post
Having worked in the really dangerous sections of East and West Baltimore and visited the B&O on several occasions 2003-2007, I can say I never felt any danger visiting the Museum even on foot.
Baltimore is supposed to be a very dangerous city, so dangerous that Ray Lewis is trying to change things for the better there. Now that's dangerous.
Old 01-10-2010, 04:45 AM   #30
Dennis A. Livesey

Parts of East and West Baltimore are extremely dangerous. Those areas were about as bad as any I have ever experienced. (So that you know, I have lived and worked in New York City since the bad old days of the 70's.)

Working on a cable show that took place in the Baltimore ghettos, I was in the thick of it. More than once, 9's would be popping just blocks away.

So the B&O Museum neighborhood is, in my opinion, nothing in comparison.

I Foam Therefore I Am.

My pix on RailPics:

I am on Flickr as well:

Old 01-10-2010, 02:32 PM   #31
Joe the Photog
A dude with a camera

I like Baltimore a lot. I think it's a neat city, but I've never been in what must be the bad part of town. We got there fifteen minutes before the B&O Museum closed and were literally passing through town. They were going to charge us full admission to get in for fifteen minutes, so we said, "No thanks." (We initially said, "Seriously?")

I still miss "Homicide: Life on the Streets."
Old 01-10-2010, 07:03 PM   #32
U-3-b

Looking at all the comments that people have made I realized two things. 1) I have been to a lot of them and 2) I must be getting old because I visited most of them in the 80's and 90's.

Here is what I liked and I guess they are in order.

IRM. I was wowed the first time I was there as a college student and I know it has received a lot more stuff since then. Looking forward to visiting again sometime.

CSRM. I think it was because it told the story of railroading with real stuff and being a historian in training and practice, that was up my alley.

B&O. Not too far from where I grew up, it was the first railroad museum that I visited and they have a lot of stuff. True it is not in the greatest area but I have been going there since 1981 and never had a problem.

Steamtown. Lots of steam, of course, and pretty good exhibits. A lot of the outdoor stuff is rather run down, but one of the few places I could see GTW steam. Dead of course.

RRMofP. The main draw for me was the Strasburg across the street, but I was still impressed with their collection.

Minnesota Transportation Museum. I really enjoyed this place and my wife did too. Take the round house tour. Even though I knew more than my tour guide, it was still really cool to see them work on things.

Museum of Transportation. Yes they have automobiles and trucks, but they have a lot of steam and early diesel. Not all of it is restored and looking good, but it is still worthwhile.

Monticello Railway Museum. Kind of on the small side, but a restored historic engine to me is worth it and they are doing lots of cool stuff right now.

Places I would not go unless you are really interested.

VTM. I have been to this museum many times and it is sad how somethings have been allowed to deteriorate so much. I don't go any more because of that, plus I saw 1218 and 611 running many times and to see them stuffed now would not be good.

Western Railway Museum. Lots of electrics and everything else is second class. Still has some nice stuff though, just not very well cared for.

Oklahoma Railway Museum. A few things and that is about it.

Ft Smith Trolley Museum. They do have a Frisco Steam engine and a few cars but you can see it all in about 10 minutes.

I know I have been to some others, but I can not think of them right now.

Hope that this helps.

Steve
U-3-b is offline   Reply With Quote