Old 06-01-2022, 03:57 PM   #1
StL-rail

Send a message via AIM to StL-rail Send a message via MSN to StL-rail Send a message via Yahoo to StL-rail
Default So, we're actually going to call this backlit?

Seriously, backlit? I would legitimately like to talk to the screener on how he came to that conclusion. I'm at a loss. Thoughts?

https://www.railpictures.net/viewrej...91&key=7307192

Click Here to view my photos at RailPictures.Net!

-Canadian Pacific Locomotive Engineer
-Union Pacific Conductor
-RRC Switchman
StL-rail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 04:59 PM   #2
bigbassloyd

It's not backlit at all, but the editing is a bit over the top and the image isn't extremely sharp. So without some work you're gonna get rejected again.

You'd have an argument otherwise, considering the first place people's choice this week. I guess the voting is down to 4 or 5 people nowadays...

Loyd L.

My personal photography site
bigbassloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 06:19 PM   #3
StL-rail

Send a message via AIM to StL-rail Send a message via MSN to StL-rail Send a message via Yahoo to StL-rail

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbassloyd View Post
It's not backlit at all, but the editing is a bit over the top and the image isn't extremely sharp.
Loyd L.
Now that you mention it, I do see it's a little soft. I might just save this one for later. I just couldn't believe the "backlit" rejection. That's just lazy.

Click Here to view my photos at RailPictures.Net!

-Canadian Pacific Locomotive Engineer
-Union Pacific Conductor
-RRC Switchman
StL-rail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 02:23 PM   #4
KevinM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbassloyd View Post
It's not backlit at all, but the editing is a bit over the top and the image isn't extremely sharp. So without some work you're gonna get rejected again.

You'd have an argument otherwise, considering the first place people's choice this week. I guess the voting is down to 4 or 5 people nowadays...

Loyd L.
Apologies if anything in this sounds harsh, but when I clicked on the link, I instantly thought: "ugh".

I agree with Loyd's comments on the editing. The photo has a washed-out look to it. It almost looks like the file used in the edit was a JPEG vs. raw. Some of mine looked like this years ago when I shot only JPEG and edited using an earlier version of Photoshop Elements. The results often looked more like a painting than a photo. The early PSE shadow reduction tool was especially harsh. Also agree on the sharpness. Only the top front of the loco looks reasonably sharp. Everything else is really soft....almost blurry.

This is one of those shots that would have me dissecting everything that went into the image, from the camera settings to the workflow.

I can't immediately see the EXIF on this shot, but I did review some of your recent submissions and they all have a similar look. The EXIF I saw on one shot had you shooting at 1/250th, f/3.5 and ISO 100. Honestly, on most trains, I would want more than 1/250th unless it is very slow-moving. I like to be no slower than 1/400th and I prefer to be higher than that. I also like to be at f/8, just for some depth of field. Even f/5.6 would be MUCH better than 3.5. Forget about ISO 100. That's for tripod shots. On a sunny day, I am at ISO 200-400. On cloudy days it could be 400-1600, depending on how dark it is and how fast my train is running. On most reasonably current cameras, ISO 200 should be virtually indistinguishable from ISO 100. Even ISO 400 should work just fine on even the lowest-end of current cameras. If the EXIF on that one shot was representative of how you've been shooting, I think you can get your image quality up significantly, just by making some changes in the camera settings you shoot.

My RP stuff is here.

Link to my Flickr Albums. Albums from Steam Railroads all over the US.
KevinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 04:42 PM   #5
Joseph Cermak

I agree with the prior comments about the overall edit and possible camera settings issues. Would also add that the center composition isn't doing this image any favors. Could easily get to a more ROT comp with a slight shift to take some off the bottom and maybe the right.
Joseph Cermak is offline   Reply With Quote