RailPictures.Net Photo: AMTK 160 Amtrak GE P42DC at Martinez, California by Craig Walker

Login · Sign Up 

Community Response Locomotive Details Location/Date of Photo
Views: 1,382     Favorited: 7
Since added on June 20, 2024

+ Add to Favorites

+ Subscribe

+ Add to Photo Album

+ Post a Photo Comment

» Amtrak (more..)
» GE P42DC (more..)
» UP Martinez Subdivision 
» Martinez, California, USA (more..)
» June 16, 2024
Locomotive No./Train ID Photographer
» AMTK 160 (more..)
» AMTK 6 (more..)
» Craig Walker (more..)
» Contact Photographer · Photographer Profile 
Remarks & Notes 
What a Great Way To Start the Day!

While hanging around Martinez, where my railfanning obsession began with my older brother watching Southern Pacific Daylight 4-8-4s and cab forwards passing our family's house across from the mainline, I noted that Amtrak train 6, the eastbound California Zephyr, was due to arrive in half-an-hour. So, I relocated from the station (not the old one, where our parents met in person for the first time 78 years before, but the newer one) to a spot closer to the old SP (now Union Pacific) Ozol Yard to catch it passing under the impressive pair of cantilever signals, and where the morning light would be better as well. What I didn't know, until mentioned by a young local railfan awaiting it as well, was that Amtrak P42DC 160, painted in tribute to my favorite of Amtrak's many paint schemes – nicknamed the "Pepsi Can" scheme, and applied to their 20 Dash 8-32BWH diesels – would be leading. As the train approached, I was very pleased to find that the trailing P42DC, 174, is wearing the carrier's new Phase VII paint scheme, my second favorite of their liveries! If I was away from home – and two of my kids – for Father's Day, this was a suitable substitute … and the kids would have told me to head trackside for at least part of the day anyway. (Martinez, California – June 16, 2024)
Photo Comments (0) 

User Photo Albums Containing this Photo (4)+ Add to Album
DreamTrains

Album created by member coco13cos
Album Views: 3,212,288
Over 50.000 of RP's most appreciated and beautiful photos.
Amtrak

Album created by member Ty Kaneshiro
Album Views: 126,743
Amtrak Transcontinentals in California

Album created by member Ellis Simon
Album Views: 12,989
California-bound rail travelers from the east have three choices to reach the Golden State: California Zephyr, Southwest Chief, Sunset Limited/Texas Eagle. A look back through the years including the now-defunct Desert Wind
Amtrak California Zephyr

Album created by member Ellis Simon
Album Views: 10,237
This popular route between Chicago and the San Francisco Bay Area features crossings of two challenging mountain ranges, the Rockies and the Sierras.
Add to Photo Album or Get Your Own Photo Album

EXIF Data for this photo: [What's this?]

This image contains EXIF headers - Click Here to show the data.

Photo Copyright © 2024 Craig Walker. All Rights Reserved. Photo Usage Policy
This website Copyright © 2002-2024. All Rights Reserved.
Do Not Sell My Personal Information